Embrace Opportunities for Change to Grow Your Company
Did you ever think about just using change to grow and move your business forward or to a new level? There is no doubt that businesses have faced a lot of change over the past several years. There is no way that all of the change we have experienced will correct itself and return to what we considered normal or business as usual. Change is just that: change – the act of becoming different. Rather than waiting hopelessly for normal, or whatever you were used to, to come back, a wiser strategy would be to use seize change to grow and to move your small business forward.
As the saying goes, the only constant in life is change. You can either deal with change, using it to your advantage, or the stress from it may drive you crazy. Well, maybe not totally crazy, but stress is known to cause physical and mental problems like headaches, upset stomach, sleepless nights and depression. Who wants that? There are myriad ways you can address change without endangering your personal health or mental stability.
Consider implementing one or two of these strategies to use change to grow:
- Adapt to technological changes. We all know that technology is changing constantly at an extremely rapid pace. Buy a new computer, tablet or smart phone so you can work faster and smarter, virtually. Research new software programs and applications that will help you provide new services to your customers and increase your productivity. Technological changes for can make your company run better, smoother and with higher levels of productivity.
- What is going on politically that provides business opportunities for you? What bills are being passed nationally or locally that might affect your business or your customers? How can you adapt these types of changes to help your company move in a new direction or grow? Can you take advantage of new programs or grants that become available?
- Identify opportunities to expand your product line or services. New products and services will expand your menu of ways to increase revenue by addressing new needs related to changes. Services or products that no one else in your industry offers makes your company special. Customers will pay more for something they can’t get anywhere else. Any new product or service will help increase your revenues. Embrace change to grow more profitable.
- Invest in education for yourself or your staff. Provide training to increase the value of each employee. Enhance the skills they can use to bring more value to your company and your customers. Help make them more productive. Changes in the skill levels and knowledge of your staff can help your company grow.
- Look for new markets ideal for any new products or services, created as a result of recent changes. More customers = more revenue = financial growth. What new opportunities are opening up in the sustainable arena that your firm can capitalize on? Think about niche markets no one else has taken advantage of yet.
One skill that all successful business owners and managers must have is the ability to adapt to change. Change is all around us, coming at us from all directions, everyday. Some change we adapt to quickly and easily. Other major changes demand that we divert our attention in new directions or create new strategies to address those changes. One thing is for certain: change isn’t going away anytime soon.
Change can provide new opportunities, so be on the lookout for them. Continuing to do everything the same way over and over just results in getting stuck in a rut. You know what they say about ruts; they are nothing more than graves with the ends kicked out. Look for ways to adapt to change in your industry, the economy, technology, society at large and political arenas. Some changes you can control, others you can’t, but don’t fear change, embrace it. Use change to grow your small business.